Arianna Huffington née HOLYCRAPTHATSALONGGREEKMAIDENNAME spoke out against Big Media today on her blog, Huffington Post, in response to various media outlets prohibiting their employees from attending Jon Stewart's upcoming Rally To Restore Sanity (and, assumedly, Steven Colbert's March de la Fear). Yes, that's right..."PROHIBITING." Generally, the mass media position is that the event will be perceived as "political" and, therefore, the media should not be involved as they might be construed as supporting the cause.
| The Huffster Photo by Minesweeper via Creative Commons |
Did I miss the memo informing the mass media they should abstain from covering political events? Isn't that...like...uhh...WHAT the media does??? (like, totally, for real?) (totally.) I'm failing to see how an objective news agency (as so many claim to be) can't report, objectively, on an event such as this one, political or not.
I mean, the rally is...completely political. No bones about it. Yes, it's being put on by a comedic "fake news" entity. But the purpose of the whole thing is to inform our elected representatives of how the attendees feel about the current state of political craziness in this country and raise everyone's collective consciousness-- voters and Congresspeople alike--as to where this country should be going (according to Jon Stewart, that is).
Soooo...SHOULDN'T this event be getting media coverage?? Whatever the message that's being delivered, I'm pretty confident that it's newsworthy (as long as the definition of newsworthy is still "stuff people could possibly want to know about." I say this with full knowledge that this umbrella term includes stories like the cat who raised a squirrel as her own and the juicy details of Lindsay Lohan's repeated rehab failures. Side note: rehab is for quitters. ZING!).
If I'm missing something, here, please bring me up to speed. I emplore you.
Read the original article HERE.

No comments:
Post a Comment