Busted Ts Ad

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bow Chicka Wow Wow

Photo by Stacie Joy via Gothamist
Yesterday, the 20th annual Tompkins Square Park Halloween Dog Parade took place in The Big Apple.  People came out in droves to display their costumed canines.  Now, I'm all for the occasional cute doggie get up (OCCASIONAL being the operative word.  As in, no daily sweaters or the like.  Get this through your thick heads, owners...THEY DO NOT LIKE THEM).  But...I dunno, I just don't know about this one.  Jewish Doggie?  Don't Halloween costumes have to either be scary, gross, over-the-top, or creative? (and, I'm sorry, but strappin' on a mini-kipah and tallis don't cut the mustard, creative-wise).

Ok, I guess the priest uniform is a Halloween costume, so Rabbi garb might as well be similarly acceptable.  But, first off, there really is no official Rabbi-wear (I guess if you got the dog to perform a marriage and teach some Talmud?...).  And, secondly, you'd think for such activities as a doggie costume parade you'd want to do something a little more...exciting?  Like, maybe, Chanukah Doggie!  You could somehow fashion a menorah with sparklers as candles that could be attached to its back?  Too dangerous?  How about dressing it up like a Maccabee with a real sword and armor!  ...alright, having a little trouble getting away from the whole dangerous thing...

Perhaps Rosh Hashanah Doggie, with a plate of apples & honey on his head??  (ok, I think we can both agree that's a probable fail).  No, wait, wait...I got it...

Moses Doggie!  Equipped with sea-parting staff, robes, and Charlton Heston hair/beard!  See, THIS is the kind of creativity I'd expect to see at a dog costume parade; Cool Historical Jewish Figure Doggie!...not simply "ready for a Shabbos nap" doggie.

Don't mean to be a hater...but, c'mon, let's kick it up a notch or two, shall we?  L'chaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment