Busted Ts Ad

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Podcasts...my new best friends.

I just discovered podcasts.

Yes, smartass, I knew they existed.  But I never before listened to one until recently when, upon realizing my job was boring to the point where I could periodically FEEL my soul escaping my body, I took the initiative to explore our favorite online media dispensary, the iTunes store.  And, lo...what be this madness?  FREE podcasts?!  Saints be praised! (sidenote: my Mom, forever enamored with our changing technology, will 1) never understand how Skype can offer free videochat when she used to pay for long distance and 2) just doesn't "get" podcasts.  Every time I try to explain, I end up sounding like a babbling moron:

Me: It's like a radio broadcast, but you download it.
Mom: So it's radio?
Me: Well, no...it's like radio, but it's not live.
Mom: Is there music?
Me: Well...no, not on the ones I listen to.  Just people talking.
Mom: So it's not like radio?
Me: Well...NO.  It's pre-recorded shows of varying content.
Mom: So it's like tv?
ME: Well.....NOT NECESSARILY.  IT CAN HAVE VIDEO, BUT OFTEN IT'S JUST AUDIO.
Mom: So....how do you watch them?
ME: YOU DOWNLOAD THEM ONTO YOUR IPOD AND LISTEN!
Mom: ... ... ...Why don't you just listen to the radio?
ME: Bu--I w--no it's--the--AAAAARRRRRRHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Here are a few newly-discovered gems currently in circulation on the ol' iPhone...if you don't like 'em, go argue it out with my Mom.  And if you have any suggestions--for me or the 11 loyal FROBlog followers--feel free to leave 'em in the comments:

The ol' standard:
Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! (NPR)

For the ethanolly-minded:
New Brew Thursday
Hopcast

Laugh it up, fuzzball:
Adam Carolla
Marc Maron

PS - spell check wanted to replace "podcasts" with "pederasts."  REALLY close to accepting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment