"Well, we're home." Three words I've dreaded having to say since the moment our Boeing 777 lifted off American soil a month ago and Iron Man 2 lit up our single-serving tv screens (fun movie, btw, if you haven't seen it. Anyone else notice that Terrence Howard looked, mysteriously, like Don Cheadle in this one...) Now, don't get me wrong--it's not that I have beef with DC Metro Area. The District is, without a doubt, one of the jewels of our nation. It's got the White House, the monuments, the memorials, Perry's Sunday Tranny Brunch. But, c'mon, fellow world travelers...you know what I'm gettin' at, right? A casual stroll on the National Mall doesn't hold a candle to viewing the ancient ruins of Rome, crossing the statue-laden Charles Bridge that spans Prague's Vltava River, or walking the cobblestones of Edinburgh's Royal Mile leading up to an awe-inspiring medieval castle fortress.
...right?
I have been sorely missing Europe ever since returning to American soil. However, upon further consideration, it occurs to me that I might have been selling our little capital city short (to myself, that is). Not that DC's offerings can necessarily measure up to the wonders of fill-in-the-blank-European-destination. But this city ain't no slouch, neither. Between the museums and galleries, monuments and memorials--even the architecture that, while only dating back so many years, spans both time and style--DC can be a desired destination in its own right. This city holds within its borders some of this nation's finest achievements, not to mention its ridiculously fascinating and pride-filled history. Oh right, THAT history. The whole "forming of our great nation" thing. That earns a few points, right?
No, no, no...I have NOT been hired by the District of Columbia Department of Tourism as their newest PR rep. For one, that would mean I'm employed. Had that happened, you and everyone within a 50 mile radius would have been alerted via my screams of joy from the surrounding mountaintops and, very possibly, an overzealous, Will Ferrel-esque streak through the city with "I got 'er done!!" painted on my butt cheeks (yes, folks, it's coming to that).
What I think I'm getting at is that I am not willing to let myself wallow in the post-vacation doldrums of tourist nostalgia, especially when there is a city at my doorstep I have only begun to discover despite living in the area for the better part of my life. Yes, I've been to the Air and Space museum, seen IMAXes, and eaten dehydrated "astronaut ice cream" 20 times over. Yes, I've repeatedly walked past the Old Executive Office building and Renwick and Corcoran Galleries on the way to my Dad's old office. I've strolled from monsieur Lincoln to the Capitol and back. I've Cherryblossomed. I've engaged in countless acts of alcohol-fueled debauchery from the north most tip of 16th Street all the way down to the bowels of Georgetown. And yet, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
So, in sum, I'm issuing a challenge to myself and anyone else who is interested: get up off your LOST-watching, Farmville-harvesting, wonktastic keister, go out there and remind yourself why our nation's capital is such an asset. If I'm the only one that hasn't truly taken advantage of what this city has to offer..well, shame on me and you can disregard this challenge and go back to being awesome. But I have a feeling I'm not alone. It may not have the Colosseum or the Uffizi, but DC has a history, culture, and intrinsic value that puts it on par with some of the greats. Go remind yourself. It'll be worth it.
In the meantime, I'll be watching Passport to Europe, No Reservations, and engaging in other metaphorical acts of self-flagellation.
Awesome, Jason. Loved the trip snippets; made me wish I was in Europe. But being back in DC after a summer away makes me, like you said, reinvigorated to discover all those neat things that this city has to offer. Though it might not be Europe, we here in Federal City are eating pretty high on the culturohistoricocosmopolitan hog. We really ought to make the most of it. Tally ho!
ReplyDelete