Not new, no. Anyone who's seen How To Make It In America will recognize the tune. But this version of Aloe Blacc's I Need A Dollar, remixed with Emis Killa, is dope city. Old school soul meets Italian rap; they go together like peas and carrots. Tell me I'm wrong, I dare you.
Naturally, having just got into How To Make It In America two seasons late, I found out it was cancelled. Anyone who likes NYC half as much as I do should protest...the show's good. It's like a gritty, east coast version of Entourage, sans glitz and Emmanuelle Chriqui. Unlike Entourage, where Vince has basically already "made it" and is trying to keep it going, the two main characters in HTMIIA are struggling to get going; in that way, the show is more accessible to your average, everyday non-Hollywoodian. There is an underlying, angsty love story (doesn't there have to be?), but it's completely palatable and doesn't prevent the overarching themes of friendship, entrepreneurship, and perseverance-in-the-face-of-adversity from shining through. It's fun and well-written and makes you really want Ben and Cam, the main characters, to succeed. And with NYC as the backdrop, it had me at hello.
C'mon, Señor EP Mark Wahlberg...bring it back! And say hi to ya mutha for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment